On 13 June 2017, the Senate agreed to establish an inquiry into the Oakden Aged Care Facility as instigated by NXT. Submissions to this inquiry should be received by 3 August 2017, with the committee due to report by 18 February 2018. Information about how to prepare a submission can be found here and the contact details of the committee secretary are as follows:
Senate Standing Committees on Community Affairs
PO Box 6100
Canberra ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6277 3515
Fax: +61 2 6277 5829
This clipping from Hansard shows the motion as moved by Nick in the Senate on 13 June.
Terms of reference for the Inquiry are below, for more information follow the link to the APH website.
On 13 June 2017, the Senate referred the above matter to the Senate Community Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
- the effectiveness of the Aged Care Quality Assessment and accreditation framework for protecting residents from abuse and poor practices, and ensuring proper clinical and medical care standards are maintained and practised;
- the adequacy and effectiveness of complaints handling processes at a state and federal level, including consumer awareness and appropriate use of the available complaints mechanisms;
- concerns regarding standards of care reported to aged care providers and government agencies by staff and contract workers, medical officers, volunteers, family members and other healthcare or aged care providers receiving transferred patients, and the adequacy of responses and feedback arrangements;
- the adequacy of medication handling practices and drug administration methods specific to aged care delivered at Oakden;
- the adequacy of injury prevention, monitoring and reporting mechanisms and the need for mandatory reporting and data collection for serious injury and mortality incidents;
- the division of responsibility and accountability between residents (and their families), agency and permanent staff, aged care providers, and the state and the federal governments for reporting on and acting on adverse incidents; and
- any related matters.